This is definitely a sauce inspired from the Whole30 diet. I normally prefer meat free tomato sauce. Something light and fresh with plenty of herbs. But as I’m on the Whole30 plan I’ve decided to embrace it, cooking in a style outside of my normal realm. Each meal contains some sort of animal protein, which is a step beyond my usual. Yes at times I do enjoy animal protein but it’s never been my favorite to cook or eat on a regular or daily basis. Overall this change is positive. I’m learning quite a bit about the relationship of food and my body. I will continue to share these details in my weekly updates.
To keep myself interested in eating the Whole30 way I cook creatively. A salad with some grilled chicken strips is not going to win me over. The bottom line is if I can cook meals that keep me happy this diet will continue to be ‘easy’ or rather stress free. This being said I’ve created a few note worthy meals in the last two weeks. Here’s one of them.
This recipe is for a double batch of bolognese sauce. I made enough to freeze for a future date. Typically I use a minimal amount of tomato paste in my cooking. But for this recipe I decided to use it. Sometimes I find the paste to be too acidic and my solution was to add a can of coconut milk. It mellowed out the strong flavor tomato paste can offer and added a subtle richness. If you preferred a creamier sauce feel free to add in another can. It would have worked fine in this double batch. The end result was hearty and flavorful. I used a blend of oregano and basil, but you can easily add in other Italian seasonings if you desire. Since pasta is not an option right now we enjoyed this with summer squash and zucchini. I julienned the vegetables, sautéed them in coconut oil, and mixed with the bolognese sauce. Yum!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 lb sliced and diced proscuitto
- 2lb ground beef
- 1 26oz carton crushed tomatoes
- 1 26oz carton diced tomatoes
- 1 14oz can coconut milk
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in coconut oil. Season with s&p.
- Add proscuitto, oregano, and basil. Stir and cook one minute.
- Stir in ground beef and brown, breaking beef down into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to low, and cook covered until thickened – about an hour. Remove cover and stir on occasion.
- Juelienne zucchi and summer squash into 1/4″ matchsticks. Saute in coconut oil over medium high heat until lightly browned and tender.
- Spoon bolognese sauce onto veggies and stir to combine.